has just updated its free Find My app for devices. From the release notes accompanying the 5.2MB version 1.2 update.
If you lose your iPhone,
You’ll see your device’s location on a map and you can choose to have it display a message or play a sound, remotely lock the device, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned. For added security, the app will automatically sign you out after 15 minutes, or you can manually sign out at any time.
• Locate your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch on a map
• Send a message and optionally play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent)
• Remotely set a passcode lock on your device, or lock it using your existing passcode
• Remotely wipe your device to permanently erase all of your personal data
Please note that you must first set up and turn on Find My iPhone on each device you want to locate (installing this app is not required).
What’s New In This Version:
• When you are unable to locate a device because it is is offline, you will receive an email if the device comes online and is located.
• Ability to remove an offline device from the list using the app.
You can download Find My iPhone from the App Store for free.