has officially announced the latest version of its tablet. The newly named Air features a new design that’s reminiscent of the iPad mini released last year. It’s thinner and lighter than prior versions, and features a smaller bezel, which shrinks the footprint of the tablet down without compromising on screen size. Apple says it’s 20 percent thinner at only 7.5mm thick, and weighs just 1.0 pound. This is the first major redesign of Apple’s flagship tablet since the was released in March 2011.
The iPad Air features the 64-bit A7 processor and M7 motion coprocessor found in the5S, which Apple says is 8 times faster and has 72 times better graphics performance than the old processor. It also has a 5-megapixel iSight camera and FaceTime HD front-facing camera and 10 hour battery life. Apple says the iPad Air has twice the data transfer rate on Wi-Fi thanks to new MIMO 802.11n support, but it doesn’t support 802.11ac.
The iPad Air will be available in silver and white and space grey and black color options starting at $499 on November 1st. A cellular version will be available starting at $629. Apple is also keeping the geriatric iPad 2 in the lineup for $399.
iPad Air new features and everything you need to know, price,shipping time…
- 9.7-inch Retina display with a smaller bezel. 43 percent thinner.
- 7.5mm thin, 20 percent thinner than outgoing model.
- Lighter as well: 1 pound, down from 1.4 pounds.Lightest full-size tablet in the world.
- “When you hold it, it will be a dramatically different experience.”
- A7 chip inside.
- Gizmodo quote! “Forget the specs, it blows everything away.”
- M7 motion co-processor as well.
- Up to 8x faster performance, 72x faster graphics performance.
- Faster WiFi with MIMO for 2x faster 802.11n — doesn’t seem like it has 802.11ac.
- 5 megapixel iSight, 1080p FaceTime camera. Dual mics.
- 10-hour battery life.
- Available in silver and white, space gray and black.
- Replaces previous iPad, starts at $499 for $16GB, cellular for $629.
- Shipping: Nov 1st