Marked opens MultiMarkdown, Markdown, Text or HTML files and previews them as HTML documents. It watches the file for changes, updating the preview any time the file is saved. With a full set of customization options and preview styles, Marked adds an ideal "live" Markdown preview to any text editor.
Markdown (John Gruber) is a plain-text formatting syntax that you can use anywhere you can type. Many applications are becoming aware of it, and Marked helps you make it work everywhere. Marked uses MultiMarkdown (Fletcher Penney), a superset that adds additional capabilities including metadata, tables and footnotes.
What’s New In This Version:
"This is ostensibly a stability release. There are a lot of features I didn’t include because I wanted to get a more stable version of Marked out as quickly as possible. It involved a complete rewrite of the file watcher and file handling systems to improve Dropbox compatibility and handle edge cases much more smoothly."
– UI tweaks
– CSS style tweaks
– Markdown Compatibility mode
– mkd extension
– Save scroll position on update is rewritten and far more consistent
– also notes if you’re scrolled to the bottom and keeps you there as the document gets longer.
– Error message when the processor fails, not just a blank window
– Loading indicator
– Hotkey for "Edit in" configurable editor (⌘E)
– Reveal in Finder (⌘R)
– A couple dozen more features, check out the release notes at: http://markedapp.com/changelog/v1.2.html
– Dropbox errors after editing on
– Dropbox issues in general
– Marked just not responding on longer files (tested up to 300k document)
– YAML header removal not working on all systems
– Crash when opening current Marked file in TextEdit and saving
– "HMTL" in opening webarchive
– CJK support should be fixed
– Problem reading non-UTF8 files
– Filename on Save HTML is the (filename – extension) + .html instead of "Markdown Preview"
– nilString: bug, setTextColor: bug
– WindowController issues (re-open last doc not working, etc.)
– Copy/Select not working in Source View
– Copy/paste in the "custom markdown processor" text field in Prefs
– Arrow key navigation, home and end in Preview inoperable
You can purchase Marked from the App Store for $2.99.