Onion Browser for, ,iPod Touch:
Onion Browser is a Tor-capable web browser that lets you access the internet privately and anonymously.
Onion Browser is open-source software and relies on other projects including The Tor Project. The developer encourages users to donate to the Tor Project and the Electronic Frontier Foundation to support Tor and to the cause of online privacy rights. (See onionbrowser.com for more details on source code and how to donate to these organizations.)
#1 iPhone Utility app (4/26, 4/27)
#2 iPad Utility app (4/26, 4/27)
Featured in: TechCrunch, Boing Boing, Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Guardian (UK), Cult of, MSNBC GadgetBox, Geek.com
★ “A Mobile Browser For The Truly Paranoid” – TechCrunch
★ ”Attention dissidents, free-thinkers or just people who are plain on the run: now you can take your iPad with you and not get caught.” – Cult of
★ “…if you’re going to be your freaky online-self on your phone, at least cover your tracks.” – Gizmodo
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor onion router network:
– Websites do not see your real IP address.
– Your connection is encrypted before it leaves your device, providing protection against snooping by ISPs or people who share a WiFi connection with you.
– Tunnel bypasses restrictive firewalls: you can access the entire Internet from behind ISPs or corporate connections, or when inside countries that practice online censorship.
– Access websites on the “dark net” of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible in the Tor network.
• User-Agent spoofing: hides the fact that you are using an iPhone/iPad from websites you visit.
• Ability to block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Can change IP address and clear cookies/history/cache in one button.
Please note, web browsing through the anonymization network will be significantly slower than through a non-tunneled browser.
See onionbrowser.com for more information & privacy caveats.
CHINA/IRAN USERS NOTE: Due to online censorship techniques using deep-packet inspection (DPI), this app does NOT currently function in China or Iran.
What’s New in Version 1.5.14
FIXED: Crash when pressing menu button on iPad.
FIXED: GREATLY improve app staying connected when when coming back from background. Despite my best efforts to fix the problem for well over a year, there was a minor code issue that went unnoticed causing a lot of the grief. BIG thanks to RustamDz who pointed out the relevant code error.
Tor updated to 0.2.7.4-rc.