The Daily, an MediaMemo.
The numbers were divulged during News Corps’ earnings call.
Asked to comment on The Daily’s performance, Carey says it’s a work in progress, which lost $10 million last quarter. Then, in the background, someone–most likely CFO Dave DeVoe–mentions "800,000 downloads."
News Corp. later confirmed the number is for downloads not subscriptions and is "in the ball park" but a bit low.
You can download The Daily from the App Store for free.
See more details and screenshots below after the break…
What’s in The Daily?
• 7 sections updated every day: News, Business, Gossip, Opinion, Arts & Life, Apps & Games, and Sports
• Over 100 pages of original content every single day of the year—designed for
• World-class editors and contributors like Sasha Frere-Jones (Arts & Life) and Gary Vaynerchuk (Business)
• 360-degree photos and immersive photography that take you deeper inside the story
• Interactive charts, info-graphics and clickable hot spots
• In-app commenting — including audio comments
• Your favorite sports’ teams scores, news and photos
• You can save articles to read later and share them with your friends e-mail, Twitter and Facebook
How does The Daily’s subscription feature work?
• Downloading the app is free, and you get The Daily every day (including updates throughout the day) for two weeks free
• If you choose to subscribe, simply select the weekly ($0.99 cents) or yearly ($39.99) subscription
• You can turn off auto-renewal any time from your iTunes account settings; do it right on your iPad if you don’t want to continue with auto-renewal